Stephen Hochschuler, MD
Dr. Stephen Hochschuler is an orthopedic surgeon and recognized as a leader in spine medicine. He specializes in the lumbar spine and has been a practicing spine surgeon for more than 40 years. Dr. Hochschuler has served on the Veritas Health Medical Advisory Board for 20 years.
- Dr. Hochschuler is a Co-Founder and Chairman Emeritus of Texas Back Institute Holdings.
- His research has been published in a wide array of medical journals including The Spine Journal and Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine.
- Dr. Hochschuler has edited and authored numerous books on back conditions and treatments which include Back In Shape, Treat Your Back Without Surgery, and The Comprehensive Treatment of the Aging Spine.
Dr. Hochschuler is an orthopedic surgeon who is actively involved in patient education. He founded one of the first back schools to educate patients about spine care. Dr. Hochschuler holds many achievements in his medical career including President and Founding Member of the Spine Arthroplasty Society, Founder of the Spine Division at the Veterans Administration, and is a decorated United States Air Force Major.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Spine Medicine Leadership
- Past President, Spine Arthroplasty Society
- Past President, International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
- Founder, Spine Division at the Veterans Administration
- Founding Member, American Board of Spine Surgery
- Member, North American Spine Society
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Select Medical Research
- Adjacent Segment Degeneration: Time is Not as Important as Facet Preservation!
- A Prospective Randomized Study Comparing Two Lumbar Total Disc Replacement Devices
- Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Patients Undergoing Total Disc Replacement With Spinal Fusion at Different Lumbar Levels
- Factors Related to the 20 Best and 20 Worst 24-Month Outcomes of Total Disc Replacement in Prospective FDA-Regulated Trials
- Artificial Disc: Clinical Results of Motion Segment Replacement
- Artificial Intervertebral Discs and Beyond: a North American Spine Society Annual Meeting Symposium
Professional Awards and Recognition
- George Kozmetsky Distinguished Achievement Award, Society for Design and Process Science
- Air Force Commendation Award
- MD – Harvard Medical School
- Internship – Harvard Surgical Service, Boston City Hospital
- Residency – General Surgery, Harvard Surgical Service, Boston City Hospital
- Residency – Orthopedic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
About Veritas Health
Veritas Health publishes original, unbiased, and comprehensive resources to help millions of people each month make informed decisions about their health. Our rigorous editorial process is modeled after medical journals and ensures articles are reviewed with integrity and objectivity. The Veritas Health platform—including Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, and Pain-health.com—is a trusted authority on back pain, arthritis, sports injuries, and chronic pain conditions.
Profile last updated: January 21, 2020.