Scott Haldeman, DC, MD, PhD
Doctor of Chiropractic and Neurologist
Dr. Scott Haldeman is a neurologist and recognized as the international authority on the management of spine pain. He is the founder and President of World Spine Care, a non-profit organization endorsed by the Decade of the Bone and Joint, an initiative of the WHO. He has served on the Veritas Health Medical Advisory Board for 20 years.
- Dr. Haldeman has served on the editorial boards of eight professional and scientific journals including The Spine Journal, Spine, and the Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics.
- He has published over 230 scientific articles or book chapters which include Clinical Perceptions of the Risk of Vertebral Artery Dissection After Cervical Manipulation, Chronic Spinal Pain and Financial Worries in the US Adult Population, Low Back Pain, Current Physiologic Concepts and the 15 papers that define The Global Spine Care Initiative Model of Care.
- He has written 70 scientific abstracts and authored or edited 8 textbooks, including An Atlas of Back Pain and Principles and Practices of Chiropractic.
Scott Haldeman DC, MD, PhD, FRCP(C), FCCS(C), FAAN holds the positions of Clinical Professor in the Department of Neurology, University of California, Irvine; Adjunct Professor, Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles; Adjunct Professor, Department of Health Sciences, Ontario Tech University; and Adjunct Professor, Southern California University of Health Sciences.
- The American Board of Neurology and Psychiatry
- Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
- American Board of Electroencephalography and Neurophysiology
- American Board of Clinical Neurophysiology
- American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
Spine Medicine Leadership
- International Ambassador for the Decade of the Bone and Joint (Currently the Global Alliance for Musculoskeletal Health)
- Former Chairman and current Chairman Emeritus of the Research Council of the World Federation of Chiropractic
- Chairman of the Global Spine Care Initiative
- Member, US Department of Health AHCPR Clinical Guidelines Committee
- Member, Scientific Advisory Council of the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
- Past President, North American Spine Society
- Past President, American Back Society
- Past President, North American Academy of Manipulative Therapy
- Past President, Orange County Neurological Society
Select Medical Research
- Chronic Spinal Pain and Financial Worries in the US Adult Population
- A scoping review of biopsychosocial risk factors and co-morbidities for common spinal disorders
- Potentially Modifiable Risk Factors for Neck Pain in the US Adult Population
- Management of Acute Low Back Pain
- The Global Spine Care Initiative: resources to implement a spine care program
- The Empowerment of People with Neck Pain: Introduction
- Workplace psychosocial and organizational factors for neck pain in workers in the United States
- Behavior-Related Factors Associated with Low Back Pain in the US Adult Population
- Assessment of Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders
- The Relationship Between Spinal Pain and Comorbidity: A Cross-sectional Analysis of 579 Community-Dwelling, Older Australian Women
- Clinical Practice Implications of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000–2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders
- Assessment of Low Back Pain
- A proposal to improve healthcare value in spine care delivery: the Primary Spine Practitioner
- Risk of Carotid Stroke after Chiropractic Care: A Population-Based Case-Crossover Study
Professional Awards and Recognition
- David Selby Award by the North American Spine Society
- Patenge Distinguished Lecturer Award from Michigan State University
- Honorary Doctor of Humanities degree from the Southern California University of Health Sciences
- Bone and Joint Decade Global Alliance Distinguished Service Award
- Dr. Lou Sportelli Lifetime of Leadership Award
- BS – University of Pretoria, South Africa
- MS – University of Pretoria, South Africa
- DC – Palmer College of Chiropractic, USA
- PhD – University of British Columbia, Canada
- MD – University of British Columbia, Canada
- Internship – Vancouver General Hospital
- Residency in Neurology – University of California Irvine
- Fellowship in Electrodiagnosis – Long Beach Veterans Hospital
About Veritas Health
Veritas Health publishes original, unbiased, and comprehensive resources to help millions of people each month make informed decisions about their health. Our rigorous editorial process is modeled after medical journals and ensures articles are reviewed with integrity and objectivity. The Veritas Health platform—including Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, and Pain-health.com—is a trusted authority on back pain, arthritis, sports injuries, and chronic pain conditions.
Profile last updated: January 21, 2020.