Scott D. Boden, MD
Dr. Scott Boden is an accomplished orthopedic surgeon with more than 25 years of experience specializing in spine surgery. He is an award-winning researcher and recognized as a visionary in the treatment of musculoskeletal ailments. Dr. Boden has served on the Veritas Health Medical Advisory Board for 20 years.
- Dr. Boden is a researcher on such topics as spinal fusion and clinical outcomes relating to spinal disorders. His research includes Red Flags for Low Back Pain Are Not Always Really Red: A Prospective Evaluation of the Clinical Utility of Commonly Used Screening Questions for Low Back Pain and New Treatments and Imaging Strategies in Degenerative Disease of the Intervertebral Disks.
- He has served on the Editorial Boards of the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Spine, and Contemporary Spine Surgery.
- Dr. Boden has co-authored numerous books, including Operative Techniques and Spine Surgery and Low Back and Neck Pain: Comprehensive Diagnosis and Management.
Dr. Bowden is Director of the Emory Orthopaedics & Spine Center and Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedics at Emory University School of Medicine. He has taught courses on back and neck pain treatment and frequently lectures on orthopedic spine research. He has authored hundreds of scientific articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals and is the co-author of numerous books.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Spine Medicine Leadership
- Past President, American Orthopaedic Association
- Past President, International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, North American Spine Society
- Member, Orthopaedic Research Society
Select Medical Research
- Ten-Year Outcomes of Selective Fusions for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Biological Enhancers of Fusion: Treatment Approaches and Options
- Optimizing Metabolism to Treat Fractures and Prevent Nonunion
- The impact of insurance coverage on access to orthopedic spine care
- Predicting Likelihood of Surgery Prior to First Visit in Patients with Back and Lower Extremity Symptoms: A simple mathematical model based on over 8000 patients
- The in vivo response to a novel ti coating compared to PEEK: evaluation of the periphery and inner surfaces of an implant
- BMP and Beyond: A 25-Year Historical Review of Translational Spine Research at Emory University
- Novel Titanium Surface Improves the Osteogenic Response of PEEK Implants in a Sheep Model
- Population Health Management: Is There Any Role for Orthopaedics?
- Musculoskeletal Workforce Needs: Are Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners the Solution?: AOA Critical Issues
- Posterolateral Lumbar Arthrodesis With and Without Interbody Arthrodesis for L4–L5 Degenerative Spondylolisthesis: A Comparative Value Analysis
- Commentary: Interrater and intrarater agreements of magnetic resonance imaging findings in the lumbar spine
- Current Concepts in Bone Grafting for Spine Fusion
- Therapeutic agent carrier and method of treating bone fractures
- Intramedullary drug delivery device and method of treating bone fractures
Professional Awards and Recognition
- Eugene T. Nordby Award
- Marshall R. Urist Young Investigator Award
- Mayfield Award
- Volvo Award for Low Back Research
- BA – University of Pennsylvania
- MD – University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Internship – General Surgery, George Washington University Medical Center
- Residency – Orthopaedic Surgery, George Washington University Medical Center
- Fellowship – Spinal Surgery, Case Western Reserve University Hospital
About Veritas Health
Veritas Health publishes original, unbiased, and comprehensive resources to help millions of people each month make informed decisions about their health. Our rigorous editorial process is modeled after medical journals and ensures articles are reviewed with integrity and objectivity. The Veritas Health platform—including Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, and Pain-health.com—is a trusted authority on back pain, arthritis, sports injuries, and chronic pain conditions.
Profile last updated: January 21, 2020.